For the mushroom consommé base
- 4 tsp sesame oil
1 banana shallot (about 80g/23⁄4oz), peeled and finely sliced 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
1 sprig thyme
20g/3⁄4oz dried mushrooms, chopped
300g/101⁄2oz flat mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 pinches sea salt
2 pinches freshly ground white pepper
2 tsp soy sauce
For the garnish
- 2 tsp sesame oil
125g/41⁄2oz carrot, sliced
5g finely chopped ginger
1 chilli, deseeded and chopped 300g/101⁄2oz oyster mushrooms 40g/11⁄2oz beansprouts
pinch black pepper
200g/7oz Chinese lettuce
10g coriander leaves
4 spring onions, sliced
a squeeze of lemon juice.
- For the mushroom consommé base, heat the sesame oil in a large sauté pan or a large frying pan over a medium heat, sweat the shallot, garlic, thyme and dried mushrooms for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the flat mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 300ml/10fl oz water and the soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve, taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- For the garnish, heat the oil in a sauté pan or a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the carrot, ginger and the chilli for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and bean sprouts then season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook for a minute. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning, if required.
To serve, divide the vegetables between 4 bowls and pour over the hot mushroom broth.