1 litre/13⁄4 pints white wine vinegar 1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves
1⁄2 tsp black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 kg/2lb 4oz wild mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped.
- Place all of the ingredients except the mushrooms into a saucepan and add 500ml/18fl oz water.
- Bring to the boil and add the mushrooms. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside to dry on a clean tea towel for 3-4 hours, or until completely dry.
- Pour some olive oil into a 1 litre/13⁄4 pints sterilised jar, add the mushrooms, then cover with more olive oil. Stir together gently until all of the mushrooms are coated in the olive oil. Cover tightly with a sterilised lid.
- The mushrooms will keep for two months unopened. Use within 3-4 days once opened.