For the Wontons
- vegetable oil, for frying
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, grated
1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
125g/4oz fresh tofu, drained, chopped
125g/4oz oyster mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp runny honey
dash light soy sauce
pack square wonton wrappers (available from Asian supermarkets) 1 free-range egg, beaten
For the salad
- 150ml/5fl oz sweet chilli sauce
dash soy sauce
1 lime, juice and zest
1 cucumber, peeled, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler 1 carrot, peeled, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1 red pepper, finely sliced.
- Heat one tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a frying pan and gently fry the shallot, garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass, tofu and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the honey and soy sauce and mix until well combined.
- Spoon a teaspoonful of the mixture onto one half of a wonton wrapper and brush the surrounding edges of the wrapper with egg wash. Fold the wrapper over into a triangle and seal the edges
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 150C/320F. Alternatively, heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns golden-brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Carefully lower the wontons into the hot oil and deep-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove the wontons using a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. (You’ll need to cook the wontons in batches.)
- For the salad, mix the chilli, soy sauce and lime juice together in a bowl until well combined. Stir in the cucumber, carrot and red pepper.