2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
2 free-range eggs
50ml/2fl oz milk
freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
400g/14oz mixed mushrooms, cleaned, sliced length-ways.
- Mix the flour and parsley in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk the eggs, milk and some freshly ground black pepper together in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based saucepan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Dip the mushroom slices in the egg mixture, then coat with the flour mixture.
- Carefully place the mushrooms into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown. (You may need to do this in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan.)
- Remove the mushrooms from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.