For the beef
- 350g/12oz beef fillet 1 tsp light soy sauce 11⁄2 tbsp oyster sauce pinch sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 tbsp groundnut oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped 200g/7oz baby spinach leaves
1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry pinch dried chilli flakes
For the oyster mushrooms
- 1 tsp groundnut oil
100g/31⁄2oz oyster mushrooms
dash Chinese black rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar dash light soy sauce.
- For the beef, place the fillet in between two sheets of cling film and bash with a meat mallet or rolling pin until half as thin. Slice the beef into thin pieces and place into a bowl, then season with the light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a wok until smoking and add one tablespoon of the groundnut oil, then add the garlic and chilli. Stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the spinach leaves and toss for a few seconds, until warmed through. Pile onto a large serving plate.
- Place the wok back on the heat and add the remaining oil, then add the beef slices and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the beef is cooked to your liking. Pour in the Shaoxing rice wine and sprinkle over the dried chilli flakes. Pile the beef over the spinach leaves.
- For the oyster mushrooms, heat the oil in the wok and add the oyster mushrooms, stir frying for one minute. Add a small splash of water to create some steam to help the mushrooms cook, then season, to taste, with the black rice vinegar and light soy sauce.
- Spoon the oyster mushrooms over the beef and serve.